Sunday, October 4, 2009

How am I doing?

The past few weeks I have been posting some of what I am learning during my scripture and gospel topic study. I thought it might be time do a little bit of an update on me. First I hope anyone who reads my study posts enjoyes them. I am just sharing meaningful things and if I am the only one getting anything out of them that is ok. But if anyone who reads them gets to thinking or gets anything meaningful out of them as well that is a bonus.

My scripture study has been like a roller coaster, up and down. We had a great talk on sripture study in church a few weeks ago. That really helped me decide to take an active stand in improving my scripture study. I can really tell a difference in the past few weeks. It has really given me strength in our everyday struggles. I have felt the spirit more aboundantly on a daily basises. I highly recommend it to anyone else who could use the spirit and strength in their lives.

School/Work seems to be going well. We had some rough patches with behaviors but everyone seems to be setteling in. I have two students that in the past have had behavior issues. They are both, I have been told, doing a lot better this year. Again I have been told that I am doing a good job with them. Whether it is my efforts or the kids growing a little more mature I don't know. It can seem like a really struggle to reach my kids. So it can be hard to tell what is getting through to them. So I try to take it one day at a time and keep in mind there needs. I pray that I can be inspired in reaching my kids and giving them what they need.

My braille class is coming along. It is hard to believe that midterms are coming up. It is a hard but interesting class. Braille is like learning a new language. There are so many rules we are learning and contractions that is getting a bit over whelming. Everything is based on a cell of 6 dots in two parralel standing lines. Dots 1,2,and 3 are on the left line and dots 4,5, and 6 are on the right line. Dots 1 and 4 are at the top of their lines. Each combination of dots have meaning. Putting combinations of cells together have meaning.

Lets take the letter e for an example. The letter e is represented with dot 1 and dot 5. So writing out say apple you would do dot 1 and 5 for the letter e. The letter e also stands for the number 5. When righting numbers you have to proceed with a number sign which is dots 3,4,5,and 6. So to write the number 5 I would do dots 3,4,5,and 6 then dots 1 and 5. We also have one-cell whole word contractions. So in a sentance if the letter e is by itself it stands for the word every. We also have initial letter contractions. This is wen dot 5 perceeds a letter. For dot 5 and then dot 1 and 5 for e means ever. There are rules to use initial letter contractions in words to shorten them. Then you add in short form words, punctuation, capitalization and you can see how much there is to learn and remember. There is a lot of things still to learn. We are only up to chapter 4 in our book.

I am still the assistant ward clerk over finance in the ward. I am trying to keep up with it and everything it intails. It has been a struggle at times learning what to do. It has not been by favorite calling. But I serve the best I can. That is all any of us can say.

Well I will close this update. Hope if you are reading it you are doing well. I hope you get something positive out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment