Monday, July 27, 2009


Well last week I did some canning. Mom has been doing a lot of canning of late. She got some sirloin and ground beef from Sam's. So Thursday Tracy and I came over to do some canning. We first did the sirloin. We had to cut it up into chunks and put it in the bottles. We got the bottles filled and put them into two different caners to go at the same time. Hailey was very interested in what we were doing. We had to tell her cutting meat was uck. Once the sirloin was done we then did some ground beef. This was easier. We did not have to cut them. We did a batch for Tracy. She had to take the kids home to put Hailey down for a nap. I decided I want some more sirloin. So Dad went back to get more. I helped mom do cut up a batch for her to can. On Friday I went back to finish the project. I had to get more bottles first. So I did a batch of the ground beef in pint jars. The sirloin was in quart jars. I then cut up some sirloin into stakes. We also took a part of the ground beef and into zip lock bags. The stakes and bags of ground beef went into the freezer. I got 12 bottles of canned beef and 12 of canned sirloin. In the future I am going to can some chicken, pork, and maybe sausage. It was fun to cut up the meet and put them into the jars to can. It was therapeutic as Tracy said. Below is an action shot of the canning process. I did not think of taking pictures until after it was almost done.

No comments:

Post a Comment